You may be thinking of expanding your business by hiring an offshore team, but before you do, there are some things you should know. Here are 10 things to keep in mind to help make the process smoother. By knowing what to expect, you can avoid any surprises and make the most informed decision possible. So, whether you’re just starting to explore the idea of hiring an offshore team or are already in the process, read on for helpful tips!
- Location. It’s important to consider the time difference between your location and the location of your potential team. If there’s a significant time difference, it can make communication and collaboration more difficult. Try to find a team in a similar time zone or one that is willing to work odd hours to accommodate your schedule.
- Language barriers. Another thing to keep in mind is language barriers. If you’re not fluent in the language spoken by your potential team, there may be some communication difficulties. Be sure to hire a team that speaks your language or at least someone on the team who can act as a translator when needed.
- Cultural Differences. When working with an offshore team, it’s important to be aware of cultural differences. What may be considered normal or polite in your culture could be seen as offensive in another. Be sure to do your research on the team’s culture and make sure you’re respectful of their customs.
- Legal concerns. There are some legal concerns to keep in mind when hiring an offshore team. Make sure you’re familiar with the labor laws in both your country and the team’s country to avoid any issues. You’ll also want to have a contract in place that outlines the expectations and responsibilities of both parties.
- Cost. One of the benefits of hiring an offshore team is the cost savings, but it’s important to consider all the costs involved. In addition to salary, you’ll need to factor in the cost of benefits, taxes, and any other associated expenses. Once you have a good understanding of all the costs, you can make an informed decision about whether or not it’s the right choice for your business.
- Training. Be prepared to spend some time training your new team. They’ll need to be familiar with your company culture and values, as well as your products or services. You may also need to provide them with specific technical training. The more time you’re willing to invest in training, the smoother the transition will be.
- Communication. Effective communication is essential when working with an offshore team. Make sure you have a clear idea of what you expect from them and that they understand your expectations. You’ll also need to establish a regular communication schedule and be prepared to adjust it as needed.
- Management. Managing an offshore team can be a challenge, but it’s important to remember that they’re still employees and should be treated as such. You’ll need to create a clear structure and set expectations for how they should report to you and what kind of feedback you expect.
- Remote working conditions. Before hiring an offshore team, make sure you’re comfortable with the idea of remote working conditions. They may not be used to working from home or in a remote office, so it’s important to set up the proper tools and systems to help them be successful. This includes things like a good internet connection, adequate workspace, and reliable communication tools.
- Trust. Last but not least, remember that trust is essential when working with an offshore team. They need to trust that you have their best interests at heart and that you’re not just looking to take advantage of them. In turn, you need to be able to trust that they’ll do their best work and adhere to your expectations.
By keeping these 10 things in mind, you can set yourself up for success when hiring an offshore team. Just remember to do your research, communicate effectively, and be prepared to invest time in training and management. With a little effort, you can find the perfect team to help grow your business.
Ready to take a plunge and hire an offshore team? Schedule a call with us today so we can help get you started on the right foot!
About The Contributor
JP Galinato is the Head of Community and Marketing at hammerjack, one of the fastest growing outsourcing providers in the Philippines. He has an eclectic mix of interests ranging from dogs, food, tv and movies, and remote work. He lives in Manila, Philippines with his favorite dogs Juancho, Han, and Darcy.